I love oatmeal in the winter and I’ve posted about my homemade oatmeal before. However I don’t always have time to make homemade oatmeal so I occasionally get the instant stuff.
We were walking through Costco a few weeks ago and I ran across frozen oatmeal pucks in the freezer section. A light bulb went off in my head. I can do that!!
So I made 2 big batches of my homemade oatmeal, with no preservatives or artificial anything, for a fraction of the price of the Costco pucks. Next I went to work trying to duplicate what I saw. I figured the fastest, easiest way to go about this was the muffin tin. I sprayed the tin with no-stick spray and added my oatmeal to each cup. I left a little room for some goodies on top.
They turned out awesome! I’m so excited to have these in my freezer on stand-by. The oatmeal pucks would be great to grab and take to work. They are portion controlled and heat up in under 2 minutes. I don’t think you can get any faster or easier than that! I’ve been eating 1 puck with some fruit and that does a pretty good job of holding me over till lunch.
- 6.5 cups water
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup (the good stuff)
- Raisins, dried fruit, seeds, or nuts for topping.
- Bring water to a boil and add oats. Turn heat down to med and stir until thickens (it will thicken more as it cools) about 5-7 mins. Add butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup and stir. Taste and add more sugar or syrup to taste.
- Grease a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Fill tin with oatmeal almost to the top. Add fruit first then other toppings on top of oatmeal. Press the toppings into the oatmeal to make sure it sticks.
- Then put them in the freezer for a few hours or overnight until they are frozen little pucks! Take them out of the freezer and pop them out of the tin. Throw them in a freezer bag and Tah-dah!
- To reheat: take 1 or 2 pucks out of the freezer and put them in a microwave safe bowl with 1-2 tbsp of water or milk. Heat for 1-2 minutes stirring after each minute.