I was trying to come up with a more appetizing name for this dish but this is the best I can do. It’s WAAAY better than it sounds. The gravy in this vegan recipe seriously tastes like the best turkey gravy your grandma ever made! If there is such a thing as vegan comfort food, this is it!
The tofu is done in a way that gives it maximum crispy-ness and the rice and veggies are really just a vehicle for the gravy!
The gravy is made from nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a product most vegans are familiar with but this is our first time with it. We got it from Whole Foods where they have it in bulk or in a package. Nutritional yeast is basically deactivated yeast and is mainly used as a cheese substitute for vegans. It’s creamy, savory, and delicious!
The gravy recipe comes from a cookbook our neighbors brought us back from Athens, GA where they dined at the Grit Restaurant. It’s a vegetarian restaurant and they raved about it. We’ve cooked a few things out of this book and have really loved them. The book is called The Grit Cookbook: World-Wise, Down-Home Recipes. We highly recommend it to Veg-heads!
- ½ cup vegan margarine (or butter)
- ⅓ whole wheat flour
- ⅓ flaked nutritional yeast
- 1 cup regular almond milk
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ (7.5oz) block of firm tofu
- vegetable oil
- soy sauce
- nutritional yeast
- 1½ cup cooked rice (brown, white, or basmati)
- 2 cups of your favorite veggies, steamed
- ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large heavy-bottom saucepan over med heat, melt margarine completely. Stir in flour and yeast until blended and continue to heat roux until mixture begins to bubble. Use only enough heat to maintain vigorous bubbling, whisking constantly for 4 minutes.
- Continue rapid, thorough whisking and add almond milk gradually. The mixture will quickly become thick and custard-like. Combine soy sauce, water, and Worcestershire sauce and add to gravy gradually.
- Blend well after every addition and do not add liquid so rapidly that the gravy is very thin. If it does become too thin just continue cooking until thickened.
- Cut tofu into ¼” cubes. Lightly oil a non-stick pan and heat over high heat.
- Once the oil is heated add tofu to the pan. Saute while tossing until tofu is evenly lightly golden brown. Add a little soy sauce to the pan and continue tossing until tofu is browned.
- Remove from pan and wipe the pan clean, removing any excess liquid. Add a little more oil to the pan and heat again over high heat.
- Allow the oil to get really hot and add the tofu back to the pan.
- Saute tofu, tossing constantly until very brown. Sprinkle soy sauce and nutritional yeast over the tofu cubes then toss vigorously for a few seconds
- Remove from pan
- Add ¾ cup of rice to each plate and pour gravy over the top. Add tofu and veggies. Top with more gravy and shredded cheese! SO GOO!