It’s hard to believe but I could have sworn Spring was just here. I’m not sure where it went but I do hope it will find its way back to us! This weekend, when spring was in town, we invited a friend of ours over for dinner. He reminded us that he was on a cleanse and couldn’t really eat much besides veggies and chicken. Not being ones to walk away from a challenge we told him no problemo!
Radishes are in season right now and while perusing the produce section we grabbed a watermelon radish. I’m normally not a fan of the spicy flavor of the radish but Terri had a little trick up her sleeve. If you blanch the radish for just a few seconds, it removes that spiciness! Who knew!
With spring here for a visit and our cleansing friend coming to visit, we were inspired to put together this beautiful masterpiece! Everything in the salad is currently in season and fresh beyond belief! We even found the English peas IN the pod!
Our friend was quiet impressed with the bounty we were able to offer him with all the restrictions he had and our meal was eaten al fresco on our back porch as we chatted into the night. The salad was delicious beyond belief and we topped it with a simple homemade white balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce
- ½ Watermelon Radish
- ⅓ cup English Peas
- ½ cup Fresh Broccoli
- Bring a med pan filled half way with water to a boil. Set up an ice bath near by.
- Slice the watermelon radish in to thin slices. Once the water is at a boil place the radishes into the pot only for 30 secs or so, then put them immediately into the ice bath.
- Next remove the english peas from their pod and place them in the boiling water for 1.5-2 minutes, then put them immediately into the ice bath.
- Cut the romaine and broccoli into bite size pieces. Slice the radishes into bite sized triangles.
- Top with your favorite dressing or vinaigrette and enjoy!