We got a ton of rain last week and finally had a beautiful rain-free weekend this weekend! We took advantage of it and did some camping and hiking. We also made this delicious and beautiful Spring Veggie Farro Salad!
It’s loaded with spring vegetables, and farro just so happens to be one of my favorite grains. It’s chewy and really makes you feel like you’re eating something substantial. We have been trying to limit our meat consumption to just dinner so this makes a great vegetarian lunch and a perfect picnic for non-rainy days!
- 1 cup Farro
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Dried bay leaf
- 2½ tps Kosher salt, divided
- 4 Kale leaves, tough stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 Radishes, thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline
- 2 Small golden beets, peeled and thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline
- 2 Carrots, peeled and thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline
- 1 Celery stalk with leaves, stalk diced and the leaves torn
- 4 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 Basil leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- Add farro and vegetable broth to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn heat down to a simmer and add bay leaf and 2 tsp salt. Cook for 20 min uncovered until farro is tender but not mushy. Remove bay leave.
- Prepare veggies by slicing, peeling, or using a mandoline
- Add everything to a bowl and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.